Thursday, June 25, 2009

The last day

Of school that is. Bittersweet. On one hand I will enjoy not having to rush my two slow-pokes out the door, but on the other, now I no longer have any kid-free time.

Kenny is not taking it well. A conversation from this morning...
K -"I go see Mrs Thomas's class today, right Mommy?"
Me- "Yep"
K - "Today is my last day" (said more like a statement than a question)
Me - "Yep Dude, it is".
K - "No"
Me - "Sorry buddy, it is"
K - (getting visibly upset now) "No, I said no, listen to my words!"
Me - "I'm sorry dude."
K - "NO" (screams this at the top of his lungs) and then breaks down in tears.

Not a good start to our summer vacation. When I went to pick him up, his helper (a special ed teacher with trained experience) said he hasn't let her out of his sight. No not just out of sight, but has been bugging her to carry him on her back all day. He would not let go of her. We were supposed to go to the park for an afternoon picnic but with sever thunderstorm watches and warnings out and rain on and off, they cancelled that and had the picnic in the classroom. Poor 'S' just couldn't catch a break from him.

When it was time to go outside, 'S' took Kenny for a walk, just the two of them. You could see how much she is going to miss Kenny over the summer.

Now I know our school system is not the best. It has many flaws, but one shining star in the county board is VT and the staff there. They are some of the bestest teachers and volunteers going, hands down. But still, it's going to be a long, long summer.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
Married Mom of 3. Just trying to survive with the many challenges.